Specialised Care Unit for persons with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
The unit has 7 sharing beds and renders care to individuals suffering from memory loss.
We have found that there is a need for a specialised unit once individuals with earlier stages of Alzheimer’s disease and various forms of dementia needs more intensive support for Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs).
Memory Care should be considered if your family member is struggling with the following IADLs:
- Managing money
- Managing medications
- Using appliances and equipment
- Maintaining a hobby or activities of leisure
CONTACT US WITH ANY QUERIES YOU MIGHT HAVE.
This has led to the upgrading of a part of our Frail Care unit. Since individuals with dementia may easily become stressed and confused, a special emphasis has been placed on creating a relaxing environment. This is done by creating a place where residents can gather, such as our activity room. We have also painted the halls with bright, colourful paint, and the unit features a lot of natural light.
Individuals with dementia may also require assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and refers to the following tasks:
- Toilet use
- Control / continence of urine and bowels
- Dressing and grooming
- Moving about (general mobility)
We have partnered with Alzheimer’s South Africa to provide training to our specialised care staff. This training includes understanding how the disease manifests, knowing why patients with dementia may exhibit disruptive behaviour, how to respond to it, and how to communicate with individuals with dementia.
A resident assessment tool has been developed to assist families to determine the level of care needed, since dementia related symptoms present differently in each patient. Care at our facility is patient-centred and based on the needs of each individual. This assessment forms part of the initial admission process and leads to a unique individual care plan for each person.
Catering is provided by a professional service provider in conjunction with dieticians and health regulations. Nutritious, homely meals are freshly prepared daily. We ensure wholesome quality food. Specialised diets are also catered for.
OPTIONAL EXTRA HEALTHCARE SERVICES AVAILABLE AT ADDITIONAL FEES:
- Nail treatment (bi-weekly)
- Hair treatment (bi-weekly)
- Individual session with Occupational Therapist once a week
- Catheter care
Appointments can be made at Rubicon Care for the following Services in your unit: We have agreements with these service providers to provide these services in your unit.
- Private Doctor
- Private Dentist
- Occupational Therapist
- Physiotherapist – in gym (therapy bed)
- Speech Therapist
- Audiometry & Management of Hearing Aids
- Social Worker
- Wound Care Sister – for treatment of complicated wounds at home (contracted to the medical aid)
- Hospice – Rubicon Care works in close association with Hospice and are available for counselling care at any time
- Ambulance – preferred supplier appointed with preferential rates to Rubicon residents
- Pharmacy Services – the following pharmacies deliver to Rubicon free of charge: Mopani, Dis-Chem, Russell’s Pharmacy, Van Heerden’s, and Clicks
"I am so lucky & happy to be a resident at Rubicon Care. We receive top treatment and attention from the staff, always ready to help with a smile. Our matron and office staff solves all our problems and we love them. This is my home as long as I live."
- Therese Vorster